St Augustine's College Foundation Charter

Our Purpose

The St Augustine’s College Foundation was established in 2013 to secure strong financial support for the future so that the College continues to provide the best possible facilities and opportunities for all students.

The role of the St Augustine’s Foundation is to engage the College community to assist the College to maintain, develop and deliver exceptional educational outcomes and assist the development of a fully rounded student through:

  • The creation of a steady and reliable stream of gifts and donations by active fundraising to support the Foundation through the following funds:
    • ​​​Foundation Building Fund for capital works and building development.
    • Foundation Bursary Fund to assist students on means-tested bursaries.
    • Foundation Ancillary Fund to assist other areas of need at the College at the discretion of the Foundation.
  • The provision of a structured and ongoing parent, Old Boy, staff and friends’ network to communicate and engage these groups with the future plans and activities of the College.
  • The promotion of effective College community relations.
  • The active encouragement of our College community to consider making a bequest to the College.

Our People

The Foundation Committee directs and supports the work of the College Foundation. The committee is represented by College parents, Old Boys and College staff. The first Foundation Chairman was Dr Michael Armstrong (2013-2015) . Currently the Foundation Chairman is Ian Ritchie and the Foundation Patron is former College Principal John O’Brien.

Foundation Companions

An eclectic group of Old Boys, past and current parents and friends of the College have been invited to the role of Foundation Companion. Foundation Companions have an affection for the College and passion and enthusiasm for its well-being. Companions want to see the College thrive, securing its future in our boys' education. Companions embody the Augustinian spirit, want to give back to the College and promote Augustinian values.

Securing the future of St Augustine’s College

St Augustine’s College has grown from humble beginnings of 65 students in 1956 to a current enrolment of approximately 1,200 boys in Year 5-12. The College continues to embrace quality boys’ education, Augustinian spirituality, Social Justice programmes, diverse sporting and co-curricular activities and sophisticated technology. The strong sense of welcome and community that unites students, parents and dedicated staff is a unique feature of the College.

While tuition fees cover a major portion of a boy’s education at St Augustine’s College, fees do not and cannot provide all the funds needed to undertake major building projects and new capital works. The tax-deductible Foundation Building Fund is vital for the provision of any new buildings, projects and facilities.

The preservation and ongoing repairs, maintenance and improvements to existing College buildings are serviced by the College Voluntary Building Fund. This a tax-deductible voluntary contribution is available to current parents when paying the school fees.

At other times the Foundation will seek philanthropic support for major building developments and campaigns, and this is separate and additional to the College Voluntary Building Fund.

College building development 1956-2002

The College opened on 7 February 1956. In 1957 the main building was completed and was known later as the Augustine Wing. The original primary school was built in 1963 followed by a new primary building named the Good Counsel in 1995. During the 1970s the Mendel Wing and Tolentine Wing were opened followed by the Goold Wing in 1987.

Major building developments since 2002

Recent major building developments at St Augustine’s College that have been funded by the generosity of both current and past parents, along with previous generations of the College community include:

Brimson Centre (2003)

Lecceto Arts Centre (2005)

Senior Study Houses - Moran and Cameron House (2008)

St Mary MacKillop Centre (2009) - Australian Government grant

Quadrangle and Tolentine Park (2012)

St Possidius Chalets (2012)

Uniform Shop & Hippodrome (Canteen) (2015)

Good Counsel Primary School (2016)

Clancy Wing/Senior Study Centres (2016)

Mendel Science Wing (2016)

Relationship with the Old Boys Association (SAOBA)

The Foundation seeks to increase engagement with Old Boys and connects regularly via the publication and dissemination of information through newsletters, e-news, Communitas magazine and social media channels such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram.As the success of the Foundation relies on the support and involvement of the Old Boys' network, the Foundation works hand-in-hand with SAOBA by continually developing the database and by hosting reunion events such as Reunion of the Decades, Nostalgia Lunches, Back to Saints Rugby days as well as career networking events. 

How you can help

It is an exciting time at St Augustine’s College as the Clancy Project was completed on schedule in January 2016 and is our largest building project to date.  

Gifts and donations are sought to raise funds to support these projects and for the provision of means-tested bursaries. Bursaries are provided to assist those families who would otherwise not be able to afford a St Augustine’s College education.

The Foundation will continue to seek philanthropic support for the ongoing development of the College for the benefit of all our students, both current and future. Gifts of all sizes and amounts can be pledged over several years or given as a single gift. All gifts are gratefully received and acknowledged.

All donations and gifts to the Foundation Building Fund, Bursary Fund and Ancillary Fund are fully tax-deductible.

If you would like further information about the St Augustine’s College Foundation, please contact:

Rod Loneragan
Head of College Foundation
St Augustine’s College - Sydney 
PO Box 612 Manly 1655

​T: (02) 9938 8292 E: rloneragan@saintaug.nsw.edu.au