Skip to Main Content

International Student Welfare

As per The ESOS Act 2000, students who are under the age of 18 years are to have appropriate arrangements made for their welfare in Australia. This includes the need to appoint a local guardian and meet specific requirements for their accommodation.

Guardianship/Local Support Person

All students under 18 years of age are required to have an appointed Guardian whilst living in Australia. If the student’s parents are not living here to support their son, the appointed guardian must be over 25 years of age, be an Australian citizen or having a visa allowing him/her to stay in Australia until the student turns 18 and provide a Working With Children Check (WWCC).

If the student’s parent is on guardianship visa, the parent will be given an opportunity to appoint a local support person to provide overall support to the student.

St Augustine’s College will appoint and /or approve a guardian/local support person who is suitable, and willing, to care for the student.

Appointed guardians/local support persons are paid a fee for accepting the additional responsibility, which is paid directly to the appointed guardian/local support person, not to the College.

Guardianship Guidelines

Please refer to our Guardian Guidelines document.

Appointed Local Support Person

Please refer to our Appointed Local Support Person Guidelines document.


St Augustine’s College require all students, regardless of age, to live in accommodation approved by the College. This requirement is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students.

The College operates its own Homestay program, carefully selecting families suitable for our students. Students are generally placed with English-speaking families to learn about Australian life and culture, and help improve their English. Homestay provides students with a secure and family-like environment and they are encouraged to join in with the family. The family provides meals and assists with everyday needs such as laundry and cleaning, allowing the students more time for study.

Please refer to our Homestay Guidelines for Students document.

Working with Children Check

Our College policy requires any adults involved in providing overseas student accommodation or welfare arrangements have Working with Children Check. As defined under Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012, child-related work is defined as work in a specific, child-related role or face-to-face contact with children in a child-related sector.

Please visit Office of the Children’s Guardian for more information and/or to complete your online check.

Change of Contact Details

Please contact International Office to update your contact details. The College requests the student to update their details, including residential address, mobile number and email address with us within 7 days of the change.

24/7 Contact Person

The International Executive Officer – Vivian Cao, is the 24/7 contact person for the International Students. Whilst Vivian is available at all times, please be considerate and only contact her at odd hours if it is an absolute emergency.

If you are having a Medical Emergency, please call 000 or go straight to a hospital.

International Executive Officer - Vivian Cao can be contacted via:
T: +61 2 9938 8257

International Student Program Enquiries

Your Name

Please enter your full name.

Return to top