1956 to now.
Over 60 years of educating boys

From humble beginnings...

St Augustine's College began when the Provincial of the Augustinians, Fr Tom Hunt OSA, accepted the challenge to build a school on a vacant block of land in Brookvale, on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

On 7 February 1956, the College opened its doors to its first students. Fr David Brimson OSA, and along with Fr Joseph (Steve) Moran OSA taught 65 young boys in a temporary classroom in the church.

Meanwhile, work continued on the main building of the College, and on 1 April 1956, Cardinal Gilroy laid the foundation stone of the new St Augustine’s College. In the last few weeks of the year, two classes were able to move into the completed building, with students by then numbering 75.

Since then, our facilities have dramatically imrpoved, our academic achievement continues to rise and our student body has grown to 1,200+.

We proudly remain a Catholic school for boys teaching in the Augustinian tradition. As each student departs at the end of his St Augustine's College education, like all his fellow students before him, he is a well-educated and well-rounded Augustinian graduate, belonging to a global community of over 400 schools, universities and churches.

Photos From The Archives 1956-1962
Return to top